Exmoor might be soggy and rather damp at the moment, but on the whole we can count ourselves lucky and open for business, despite the awful weather which has hit the UK in the past weeks.
However, only about 30 miles from here the story is completely different. Acres and acres of land are under water in the Somerset levels, homes and businesses are flooded out. Farmers have worked relentlessly day and night to save their farms from flooding. However, they have lost the fight. But while many have found shelter for their animals, they desperately need fodder, straw and silage.
Whole villages have been evacuated, and it might be weeks before people can return to their homes.
*** The Somerset Levels flood victims need all our help ***
You can donate feed, forage or animal bedding through Sedgemoor Auction Centre, at J24 of the M5. Please call 01278 410 278 first to arrange a delivery time.
* * *
Well-wishers without fodder who still want to help can make donations via the Farming Community Network webpage at Just Giving. Donations should be marked “For Somerset Farmers”. The web address to donate is www.justgiving.com/fcn/donate .
* * *
You can also donate via the Somerset Emergency Flood Relief Fund which has been set up by the CLA:
SOMERSET EMERGENCY FLOOD RELIEF FUND
Donations can be made in the following ways:
- You can donate online
- You can donate by calling us on 01749 344949.
- You can donate by sending a cheque made payable to Somerset Community Foundation and write Flood Relief on the back of the cheque. Please send it to us at Yeoman House, Bath and West Showground, Shepton Mallet, Somerset BA4 6QN.
If you are a UK Taxpayer, please also use this gift aid form to add 25% to your donation.
Our target is to raise £150,000.
We will use funds raised to:
- Provide emergency relief grants to people whose homes have been flooded to meet the immediate financial burdens of moving out, pumping and drying, and emergency repairs. These are £250 and usually awarded within 48 hours of receipt of an eligible application.
- Help those who face additional financial burdens as a result of the flooding, for example though loss of earnings, extended daily commutes and school runs.
- Support local micro-businesses to ensure their survival and swift recovery as an essential part of the local community and economy through grants and, where applicable, loans.
- Support counselling and other support services to help people cope with the emotional stress caused by the flooding in the short and medium term.
If donations exceed the immediate need outlined above we will use donations to help communities on the Levels increase their resilience, or retain for future episodes of flooding. As far as possible the cost of administering the fund will be taken from gift aid receipts, and no more than 10% will be taken from non-gift aided donations for administration.
Telephone: 01749 344949
Somerset Community Foundation, Yeoman House, Shepton Mallet, Somerset BA4 6QN